Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Current projects

After lots of sorting out of the lead pile, and an ongoing ebay sell off I've settled on a couple of periods that I want to spend real time on. The first is a revisit for me. A few years back I, along with a friend of mine had two ECW armies painted up. Between us there was about 600+ figures and we based them up for the Piquet ruleset. We had a number of really fun games, but then out of the blue he announced that he'd sold off his army so he could invest in another project. This left me with a big Royalist army and nobody to fight. After a while it was clear I was going to have no use for it so I sold it off.

The ECW has always stayed in the back of my head though, and its time to scratch the itch once more. Even though I am without any regular gaming friends now I'm in the US I've decided that I'm not going to let that get in the way of immersing myself in this exciting period of English history. So to that end I purchased a couple of units from Perry miniatures to make a start. I know that choice wise it would have been smarter to go down the Bicorne/Renegade route as they have much bigger ranges, but I just love the Perry's figures so I opted for these, hoping that Michael will jump back in and fill in the gaps at some point (especially artillery crews, and possibly some infantry with improvised weapons if you're reading this?).

I jumped in with a Royalist infantry regt and a Parliamentarian horse unit. I was going to do a specific campaign and orbat, but then I though sod it, I'll just do pretty regt's instead :)

First up was Haselrige's Lobsters, just because you HAVE to have them. Its the law.




Next up it's Sir Allen Apsleys Regiment of foote. Just because I liked the picture of them on the original 1644 rule set :)






Ongoing at the moment is a light gun for my next infantry regt, Rupert's Bluecoat's.






Once I've finished the gun and crew I'll have a day of basing them all up and taking some proper pics of them.

The next period up is the AWI, again figures by the Perry's. This time though I'm having someone else paint them up for me a unit at a time. This is the first of them. Not sure what regiment it will be yet, but he did a great job on them :)







As well as all this I have some Saxon's on the go for Dux Britanniarum, but I'll save those pics for later :)







7 comments:

  1. Ouch! That would be hard having to start from scratch after already having had an army....

    Very nice painting btw!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christopher. I don't mind too much as I didn't paint the first army, I had someone do it for me. I'm enjoying having an actual planned project for once lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh yes that is a different situation altogether and does take quite a bit of the sting off.

    As it so happens I'm painting up some ECW myself, but I'm going Bicorne/Renegade as I both prefer the figures and like you said they have deeper range. I'll follow your progress with great interest and it seems your off to a super start already!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see that the modelling tools haven't replaced the brush mon ami.

    There are some excellent pieces in amongst the pics that you've posted so all you need to do now is to produce more ;O)

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see you've already been converted then to calling it the War for Independence rather than the Revolution! Good work on the ECW as well.

    ReplyDelete